Indianapolis Divorce Attorney
Choose Angela Trapp to Represent You in Your Divorce
At Trapp Law, LLC, our informed counsel and assertive attorneys deal with all types of divorce matters including uncontested divorce, contested divorce, and military divorces. While we always work to accomplish a divorce as efficiently as possible, our Indianapolis divorce lawyer will never choose the easy way out over your best interests.
Angela Trapp will take the time to understand your situation in an effort to help you find the best legal solutions possible. She has extensive experience but will never blindly guess what would be best for you and your children. Ms. Trapp will take the time to understand all of the issues involving your children, property, and support. She believes in taking a collaborative approach whenever possible. This can reduce the emotional stress of the divorce process and keep legal costs reasonable.
Contact our law office to learn how our experienced divorce attorneys can help you start the next chapter of your life with her mediation and divorce expertise on your side.
What are The Different Types of Divorce in Indiana?
With the mix of finances, emotions, and legalities, divorce is already a traumatic process for all parties involved. Add in the fact that there are different types of divorces available in Indiana and it can make the matter even more complicated. Indiana allows for 4 different types of divorces, including:
- Uncontested divorce: Uncontested divorces are for couples who have no disagreements regarding the standard divorce issues that come up during the legal process such as child support, child custody, alimony, and property division.
- Contested divorce: Contested divorces are the type in which the parties can not agree on one or more key issues such as spousal support and child custody, even with the help of legal counsel. These types of divorces are taken to court to resolve their disputes.
- No-fault divorce: A no-fault divorce is described as a divorce where the petitioning party does not need to prove that the other spouse did something to cause the divorce. All states allow for this type of divorce and a simple reason such as “incompatibility” or “irreconcilable differences” is accepted.
- At-fault divorce: This type of divorce can be requested if one spouse wants to end the union due to the fault of the other party, with reasons including adultery, cruelty or desertion.
What are the Legal Grounds for Divorce in Indiana?
There are many reasons for the breakdown of a marriage, including growing apart, spousal abuse and/or infidelity. While no-fault divorce is in most cases less expensive and faster, filing for divorce citing at-fault reasons can impact other aspects of a divorce, such as spousal support, property division, and child custody. Indiana is one of the states that allows for parties to use fault as a reason for their divorce under these specific circumstances:
- Impotency that existed at the time of the marriage
- Incurable insanity for a period of at least 2 years
- Conviction of a felony
How Do I File for Divorce in Indiana?
To file for divorce in the state of Indiana, the filing party should submit a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the help of an Indianapolis divorce lawyer. This must be typewritten, with an original and a copy filed and verified at the Marion County Domestic Relations Counseling Bureau. In addition to the petition, you will need to complete and submit a Domestic Relations Appearance Form and a Domestic Relations Summons.
Working with a knowledgeable divorce lawyer in Indianapolis will ensure everything is filed properly and you’re not at risk of missing a crucial step.
How Much Does it Cost to Get Divorced in Indianapolis?
Once you file the previously mentioned documents, the filing fee can range between $132 and $152, depending on if you’re located in Marion County or a neighboring area. There is also the possibility of additional fees depending on your unique situation regarding child custody, child support, alimony, and property division.
Do I Need an Attorney to File for Divorce in Indiana?
For many, deciding to file for divorce is a time of stress, uncertainty, and change. During this period, you will have to make many decisions that will affect your life for years to come. To deal with these upcoming challenges and protect your assets during the divorce process, it would be in your best interest to invest in representation by an Indianapolis divorce attorney.
By having an experienced party guide you through the dissolution of your marriage, you’ll be able to focus on building a strong support system and the well-being of any child/children involved.
Contact Trapp Law, LLC for your Indianapolis Divorce
The actions you take in the weeks or months before filing for divorce can lay the groundwork for a satisfactory settlement and a bright future after your divorce. Our Indianapolis divorce attorney, Angela Trapp, can advise you regarding measures you should take to protect your interests and your family. With Trapp Law’s expertise and support, you will be better prepared to meet any challenge head-on. Call (371) 423-1823 to contact Trapp Law, LLC today for a free initial consultation in Indianapolis, Indiana.