Request a consultation (317) 423-1823

Does Indiana Recognize Parental Alienation?

Yes, Indiana recognizes parental alienation. Parental alienation can happen when one parent tries to turn the children against the other parent. Children may start to believe that the other parent is abusive or that they are better off without them. This can be very damaging to the relationship between children and parents.

If you think that your children are being alienated from you, it is important to talk to a lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your options and what steps you can take to protect your relationship with your children.

How do You Prove Parental Alienation in Indiana?

To prove parental alienation in Indiana, you will need to show that:

  • The other parent has been trying to turn the children against you;
  • The children have started to believe the things that the other parent has
  • been saying about you, and
  • The children’s relationship with you has been harmed as a result.

It can be difficult to prove parental alienation, especially if the other parent denies that they are doing anything wrong. You may need to get help from a lawyer to gather evidence and build your case. Children often suffer during a divorce, even if the divorce is handled properly. So, it can be difficult to determine what is the other parent doing and what it is doing to the child’s emotions being naturally mixed.

Difference Between Legal and Physical Custody

There is a big difference between legal and physical custody in Indiana. Legal custody refers to the right of a parent to make decisions about their child’s education, religion, and health care. Physical custody refers to the right of a parent to have their child live with them.

If you only have legal custody of your child, that means that the other parent has physical custody. This can be a difficult situation, especially if you want to see your child more often. You may need to talk to a lawyer to figure out what your options are.

How Long is the Process?

The process of getting custody and proving parental alienation can be a long one. It can take several months to a year or more to get a final decision from the court. If you are not happy with the decision, you may be able to appeal the decision, but this will only take more time.

If you are a parent who has been alienated from your children, it is important to seek legal help. A lawyer can help you get back in touch with your children and protect your relationship with them the right way while documenting everything.

Importantly, a lawyer can make the process much faster. When it comes to your children, every day will matter.

Client Testimonial

"The Trapp firm kept me informed during my entire case and put in the extra effort to ensure I'd win my case. I highly recommend the Trapp law firm."

— Andy

View all Testimonials