Indianapolis Uncontested Divorce Attorney
Divorce doesn’t always have to involve blame, bitterness or argument. It’s also possible for the parties to stay true to the mutual respect and regard that led them to marriage in the first place, and to work through the end of the marriage together.
The term “uncontested divorce” refers to a divorce where the parties do not have disagreements about any of the issues involved, from property division, payment of debts, visitation to child support or spousal maintenance. If all these issues can be resolved between you and your spouse, you may not even need to go to court.
At Trapp Law, LLC, we have significant experience handling uncontested divorce cases. Indianapolis family law lawyer Angela Trapp strives to deliver high quality, affordable legal services beginning with a free and confidential initial consultation. If you are planning to file for an uncontested divorce, contact us for help.
Grounds for an Uncontested Divorce
As the starting place for proceeding with your divorce, the court will expect you to provide a reason why the divorce should be granted. From a legal perspective, the grounds for divorce are:
- The marriage has broken down to the extent that it is too damaged to save.
- The husband or wife has been convicted of a felony after the marriage took place.
- For the last two years, the husband or wife has been “incurably insane.”
- The husband or wife is impotent.
Why Do I Need an Indianapolis Uncontested Divorce Lawyer?
It’s possible for you to obtain an uncontested divorce on your own, by obtaining the proper forms, filling them out, filing them and waiting for a response from a judge. If the judge rules that a hearing is not needed, you will receive notification that the divorce is final via the mail.
If this is the case, what is the advantage of engaging an attorney? There are definite reasons why legal assistance makes sense:
- Getting it right the first time: Even if a divorce is amicable, it’s best for both parties to be able to get on with their lives. The forms that you will receive from the court have detailed instructions and they must be followed exactly. You could end up being called in for a court hearing just to address questions that only exist because of a failure to submit full information and documentation.
- The cost is nominal: If you and your spouse truly are in agreement on all points, you won’t need a significant amount of time from your lawyer. It’s worth the investment to have certainty at each step of the way that each step is being completed properly.
- Addressing any twists and turns: As you move forward and discuss all the terms of the divorce with your spouse, it’s not impossible that some disagreements could arise. An attorney can help keep the process simple, answering legal questions and helping you both understanding what the agreements that you are making will mean in real-world terms.
Contact an Uncontested Divorce Attorney
Angela Trapp has helped many clients with the uncontested divorce process. If you make a point to contact her as soon after you and your spouse have agreed to divorce, she can help you move your divorce along in a friendly and efficient manner. At Trapp Law, LLC, we understand the sensitive nature of any divorce proceeding and are committed to protecting your best interests.
We serve clients in Indianapolis, Greenfield, Carmel and throughout the state of Indiana. Contact us for a free consultation.